Most Popular Posts

Sunday 17 May 2015

Street Food Circus, Cardiff





I needed a well deserved break from working on my last essay this weekend. I'd wanted to try the street food circus in Cardiff for ages and my best friend in Bath was back home so, as massive foodies anyway, we decided to go.

Street Food Circus is an occasional food 'event', that is currently happening every weekend of May til the end of June in Cardiff, where food businesses are able to display their quick but delicious dishes. The area is busy with chicken, steak, rib stalls, Greek food, Indian food, pizza, desserts and Chinese food in the form of Hokkei. Hokkei is the takeaway of 2013's runners up of Masterchef, Larkin and Dale but seeing as I had already tried their food (which is good, might I add), we went elsewhere.

What was calling to us most was the quesadillas in El Salsa. At £6.75 per quesadilla, it was very reasonably priced. Liv opted for the tinga chicken whereas I went for the chipotle pork option. It was divine. The service was quick and the girls working there were friendly. They delivered the food with side of coleslaw, salsa, jalapenos and sour cream, which went really well with the food by providing an extra flare of spice.

We were not completely full at this point so continued to wander and were intrigued by the Dirty Bird fried chicken stall.  Liv and I are obsessed with cheese and after seeing someone take their halloumi bites, we immediately made up our minds and chose them. They were some of the more saltier halloumi pieces that I've had but it was toned down slightly by the salad.

To finish off we bought a hot cocoa. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't a standard hot chocolate but instead had a slight ginger nut taste to it which added a bit more warmth.

If you do intend on going, I must warn you that it gets busy quickly - the food is that good! We arrived only half an hour after it opened and it was already difficult to find somewhere to sit. The majority of people are stood around poles and tables eating so keep an eye out.

What street food in your city have you tried?
Natalie

Post a Comment